The most celebrated women in the Design Industry.
For Women’s History Month we wanted to celebrate and give recognize some of this era’s revolutionary women that have made waves in the industry with their creative vision and exceptional capabilities. They are truly inspirational. In no particular order:
1. Zaha Hadid – a groundbreaking architect who made her mark with her trademark neo-futuristic designs. The elegant curvy and powerfully elongated designs are the legacy she left behind. Her architectural identity was evident in all her designs that played with the balance between solid and void, transparent and opaque, interior and exterior. In her long list of outstanding achievements is her being the first woman to be awarded the prestigious Pritzker Architecture Prize.
2. Kelly Hoppen – is one of the most respected and admired interior designers globally with 40 years of expertise under her belt. She is known to break all confines, designing her projects outside the box. She is a creative genius that is geared towards making trends and is a pioneer for modern luxury designs housed in various destinations.
3. Kelly Wearstler – has an affinity for colors and energetic compositions. She is a master in combining bold textures with unique colors almost harmoniously. Her clientele is as influential as her designs and are drawn to her for her ability to create rare aesthetics distinctive to her personality.
4. Neri Oxman – is the queen of blend. Her designs are personalised to combine art, biology, computing, or any other concept that you can think of. Her approach to design births one-of-a-kind pieces that are the embodiment of environmental design and digital morphogenesis.
5. Amanda Levete – is the founder of her architecture firm that has landed many awards for her sophisticated and instinctive design approach. The Financial Times has identified her as the architect building the future. Levete is often described as an architectural magician by admirers of her work.
6. India Mahdavi – is loved for her color statement designs that are said to reflect her fun and vibrant personality. Her designs have a hint of humor that is contemporary and very tasteful. Her design recipe comprises of simple yet stylish ingredients cooking up aesthetics that are innovative and chic.
7. Victoria Hagan – provides wide array of renovation and interior design services for luxury homes. Her designs are refined playing with natural colors and warm tones masterfully. Hagan believes herself to be a Timeless American and her designs highlight the agelessness.
8. Elizabeth Diller – not only has interdisciplinary design studio with her partner but also has projects related to performing and visual arts. They have a revolutionary vision for design and are the design home of many exceptional projects such as The Lincoln Center. Time Magazine has listed Diller in the top 100 Most Influential People in the world in 2009.
9. Annabelle Selldorf – is one of the most sought-after designers since she started her practice in 1988. Her experience has helped her gain experience in a variety of projects ranging from residential to exhibition spaces globally. Selldorf is known for her design consistency between romantic and ambitious influences.
10. Jeanne Gang – believe in the philosophy of connecting people. Her studio represents her ideologies of uniting people socially, experientially, and intellectually. One of her striking projects for Social Justice Leadership in Michigan.
As you can see, there are numerous inspiring women, who play a dominating role within the design industry. We salute them for their hard work and find inspiration in their work, which inspires others.